Thursday, July 23, 2009

Society and Home Schooling

I am seriously considering home schooling Emma when the time comes. I know this sounds ridiculous but, I'm so frustrated with the schools in our area; it's sick. They don't bother to do SOL (Standards of Learning) testing and make excuses for not doing it. They only teach the things on the tests and to hell with the "life lessons" that the children should know as well. It's like telling a child that knowing your numbers are important but, we don't have the time to teach them how to tell time.. get a digital watch!

It's so frustrating to watch children attempt to do things that they should have already known how to do for their age group. In summer camp class I assigned everyone to a BINGO card. One little girl had to stop the whole session because I needed to explain to her that the numbers are to be read from left to right. She had the whole class messed up because she was reading her numbers backward. This immediately puts up a red flag, to me, that she should be tested for dyslexia. I asked her if the teachers had ever given her any special tests and she said no. When I talked with one of the lead teachers about it, she said that they aren't concerned with stuff like this. She will figure it out in time. Damn, I hate private schools. The teachers are ill educated (not completely UN educated) but, still they lack the classes that are needed to SEE this sort of trouble in educating children. Hell, I'm a MOM and I figured it out!!!

People wonder why more mothers in America are turning to homeschooling.. this is why!! What ever happened to being taught the way I was taught in school? I was taught the things that were not only required for tests but, also for life. The things that truly mattered to the teacher was the child leaving their class with a sense of purpose and pride. This doesn't happen anymore. Children leave their classes only to get to the next class. They count down the days to graduation and after receiving their diploma's they have no clue what they want to do with their lives. This is frustrating because we have this group of wayward children to look to for our futures. What the hell is the education system thinking??? They can't say it's because they don't have enough money.. it's bullshit and any right minded person can see it. The Amish teach their children and they aren't sitting them in front of high dollar computer systems and television sets. Those children are well educated and well behaved citizens of our society. I say horse pucky on the parents who blow off their children's education on lack of school revenue!

No comments: